RLS 280 - Community & Commercial Recreation
3 Semester Hour Credits
Course Description: This course introduces the various forms of commercial recreation and examines the businesses and facilities providing recreation opportunities. The course focuses on key aspects for establishing and managing a recreation facility.
Schedule: Even spring semesters. This course follows the on-campus schedule for beginning and ending dates.
Delivery Method: Online. Students are not expected to come to the campus at any time.
Prerequisite Courses: None.
Instructor: Sherry Niesar; email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Textbook: Book Information through the DCB Bookstore.
Other Materials: None.
Course Objectives: It is expected that students will be able to:
- Develop a working knowledge of basic principles of the overall management of a recreation enterprise. This includes operations management, financial management and programming.
- Understand how to apply feasibility to a recreation enterprise.
- Examine specific commercial recreation industries.
- Regular participation in the class is expected.
- Graded assignments: Assignments are given to reinforce chapter content. They are practical in nature and requires the student to apply new knowledge of chapters.
- Graded quizzes/tests: Three one-hour exams of approximately 30 questions will be given.
- Grades: Grades are based on total points earned and include the points earned on exams and assignments.
Exams - Policies & Procedures:
- All quizzes and exams can be taken on any computer with Internet access.
- Quizzes and exams can be taken at home, in a library, or any other location that has a suitable testing environment.
- Students need to select a testing environment conducive for testing such as a distraction-free area at home, a computer lab at a library, etc.
- Exams may only be taken during the set dates and times. Times are clearly posted on course calendar.
- Each quiz/test will be available for a 36-hour period on a date set by the instructor. Students can take a quiz/test at any time during the 36-hour period.
- Quizzes and tests are given for a limited time only.
- Each quiz/test will be available for a limited period of time (10-60 minutes) depending upon the number of questions.
Technology Required: Click here to view our technology required page.