PSYC 111 - Introduction to Psychology
3 Semester Hour Credits
Course Description: This course involves the scientific study of behavior and mental processes. It is a basic prerequisite to most other psychology classes.
Schedule: Fall, spring and summer semesters. This course follows the on-campus schedule for beginning and ending dates.
Delivery Method: Online. Students are not expected to come to the campus at any time.
Prerequisite Courses: None.
Instructor: Amy Lopez
Contact Information: Faculty Directory
Textbook: Book Information through the DCB Bookstore.
Other Materials: None.
Course Objectives: It is expected that students will be able to:
- Identify theoretical perspectives and research methods.
- Identify the parts of the brain and nervous system and their functions.
- Outline the different types of learning.
- Summarize current theories about memory and forgetting.
- Discuss key concepts regarding intelligence and psychological testing.
- Describe the psychological changes humans undergo during childhood, adolescence, and adulthood.
- Define the different types of psychological disorders and outline the methods used to treat them.
- Recognize the factors that influence how humans behave toward one another in social situations.
- Regular participation in the class is expected.
- Each chapter will be followed by graded assignments that must be completed by the end of the week.
- Four tests will be given during the semester.
- Students are expected to contribute to online course discussions.
- Grades are based on total points earned.
- Students are expected to complete a three to five page research paper with details regarding the paper to follow in the course.
Exams - Policies & Procedures:
- All assignments and exams will be taken online.
- Students need to select a testing environment conducive for testing such as a distraction-free area at home or a computer lab at a library.
- Each test will be available for one week on dates set by the instructor. Students can take a test at any time during the week.
- Each test will be available for a limited period of time and may only be taken once.
- Tests are comprised of multiple choice questions.
Technology Required: Click here to view our technology required page.