NUTR 240 - Principles of Nutrition
3 Semester Hour Credits
Course Description: Course content includes the science and application of nutrition, nutrition interventions in chronic and acute illness, promoting health and wellness throughout the life span, and national nutrition concerns.
Schedule: Fall, spring, & summer semesters. This course follows the traditional on-campus calendar for beginning and ending dates.
Delivery Method: Online. Students are not expected to come to the campus at any time.
Prerequisite Courses: None.
Instructor: Lori Slaubaugh; email: email@example.com
Textbook: Book Information through the DCB Bookstore.
Other Materials: None.
Course Objectives: It is expected that students will be able to:
- Interpret what the scientific facts tell us about nutrition and health
- Understand why we eat what we eat
- Explain the nutrition standards and guidelines
- Describe the processes of digestion, absorption, and transport
- Describe the major nutrients, vitamins, and minerals and their rules in the body
- Understand the concepts of energy balance and weight control
- Recognize the relationship between physical fitness, health, and nutrition
- Explain the relationship between diet and health
- Describe the nutritional needs at various stages of the life cycle
- Understand the basic principles of food safety
- Recognize the growing problem of hunger in the global economy
- Student evaluation will be based exams, quizzes, chapter assignments, participation in online discussions, and a self-assessment project.
Exams - Policies & Procedures:
- All exams will be completed online.
- Exams will be available between given dates/times only.
- Exams can be taken on any computer with Internet access. Approved proctors are not needed. Students will, however, have a limited time for test completion.
- Students need to set up or select an environment conducive for testing (e.g. distraction-free area at home, a computer lab in a library, etc.).
- The exams consist of multiple choice questions.
Technology Required: Click here to view our technology required page.