MATH 277 - Mathematics for Elementary Teachers
3 Semester Hour Credits
Course Description: This is a mathematics course for prospective elementary school teachers. Topics include problem solving, numeration systems, real numbers, and elementary number theory.
Schedule: Spring semester. This course follows the traditional on-campus calendar for beginning and ending dates.
Delivery Method: Online. Students are not expected to come to the campus at any time.
Prerequisite Courses: MATH 103 or Instructors approval.
Instructor: Harmony Richman
Contact Information: Faculty Directory
Textbook: Book Information through the DCB Bookstore.
- Manipulative Kit - can be purchased separately if you purchase a used a book.
- TI -30 or higher Scientific Calculator
- Student Solution Manual (optional)
Course Objectives: It is expected that students will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the mathematical concepts taught at the elementary level
- Communicate to others an understanding of elementary-level mathematics by writing reflections on methods of teaching and by explaining strategies and steps used in problem solving
- Use manipulatives and models to demonstrate and explain the mathematical processes used in problem solving
- Utilize many distinct problem-solving strategies
- Research and report on mathematical strategies appropriate for use at the elementary level
- Participate regularly in online discussions
- Submit graded work by dates posted on the course calendar
- Read assigned textbook chapters
- Do graded and ungraded, independent practice exercises
- Submit assigned textbook problems through the online Moodle course
- Use manipulatives to complete online math activities
- Complete graded online assignments weekly
- Contribute your reflections on teaching mathematics using state and national standards
- Report on strategies for teaching math concepts to elementary children.
Exams - Policies & Procedures:
- All exams and quizzes are open book.
Technology Required: Click here to view our technology required page.