HPER 210 - First Aid/CPR
2 Semester Hour Credits
Course Description: General directions for giving first aid, value of first aid techniques dealing with shock, control of bleeding wounds, burns, poisoning, sudden illness, cardiopulmonary resuscitation and other emergency situations will be covered. Certification cards for standard first aid and CPR will be issued upon successful completion of the course.
Schedule: Fall, spring, and summer semesters. This course follows the traditional on-campus calendar for beginning and ending dates.
Delivery Method: Online. Students are not expected to come to the campus at any time.
Prerequisite Courses: None
Instructor: Joanne Vandal; email: email@example.com
Textbook: Book Information through the DCB Bookstore.
Other Materials: This course has a $27 course fee.
Course Objectives: It is expected that students will be able to demonstrate:
- Rescue breathing and airway obstruction
- Controlling bleeding
- Splinting fractures and other health emergencies
- Submission of practical tests with the student demonstrating proper techniques in caring for:
- unconscious victims requiring rescue breathing
- unconscious victims with a blocked airway
- conscious victims with a blocked airway
- cardiac arrest (CPR)
- Completion of practice self-tests covering the following units:
- Children and life threatening emergencies
- Injuries, bleeding, and shock
- Burns and splinting
- Sudden illness
- Final Written Test
Exams - Policies & Procedures:
- All written exams are taken online
- Practical tests are either video taped and sent to the instructor, or students make arrangements to perform the practical tests in the presence of the instructor
- Students need to set up or select an environment conducive for testing (e.g. distraction-free area at home, a computer lab at a library, etc.)
- The final exam will be available for a limited period of time. Students can take the test at any time during given dates and hours. Students will have 60 minutes to complete the final exam.
- The final exam consists of 50 multiple choice questions.
Technology Required: Click here to view our technology required page.