EC 211 - Observation, Assessment, & Interpretation
3 Semester Hour Credits
Course Description: This course emphasizes the importance of skillful observation when planning appropriate activities and experiences for children. In addition, the course explores the use of informal and formal assessment strategies to plan and individualize activities and lessons and the use of assessments for determining the ability level of children.
Schedule: Fall semester. This course follows the traditional on-campus calendar for beginning and ending dates.
Delivery Method: Online. Students are not expected to come to the campus at any time.
Prerequisite Courses: EC 210 is a co-requisite or pre-requisite for this course.
Instructor: Brandi Rudland
Textbook: Book Information through the DCB Bookstore.
Other Materials: None.
Course Objectives: It is expected that students will be able to:
- Students will observe children of various ages noting the stages of physical, cognitive, and social/emotional development.
- Students will utilize formal and informal assessments to plan appropriate activities and individualize for special needs.
- Students will use and interpret assessment instruments to determine the ability level of children representing "at risk" populations.
- Discussions: Discussions are used during the first part of class to facilitate reflection and collaboration on the week's material. These can take multiple forms, such as written response and class activity.
- Field Experience: Student will observe an early childhood professional as pre-professional experience and complete a portfolio based on observation and knowledge gained.
- Portfolio Project: The final weeks of the semester will be dedicated to observation and completion of a portfolio of skills. Sections include: title page, physical facility properties, room description, description of children, anecdotal record, lessons observed, teaching strategies, relationships, positive outlook, questions & concerns, observations, successful professionals and evaluation and attendance log.
Technology Required: Click here to view our technology required page.