All students wanting to apply for financial aid must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). You may apply on-line at www.fafsa.ed.gov.
Steps to Apply for Financial Aid:
- Use the Dakota College at Bottineau Application to apply for admission at the location of your choice. Dakota College at Bottineau Application for Admission
- Complete your taxes early and keep a copy. E-file at least 3 weeks before completing your FAFSA application.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on-line as soon as you have filed and waited 3 weeks. Please use the IRS retrieval button to download tax information into the FAFSA application for both students and parents. Priority date for completing this process is April 15.
The Federal Guide for completing the 13-14 FAFSA can be found by clicking here.
The Federal Guide for completing the 14-15 FAFSA can be found by clicking here.
- Within 5-7 days you will receive a Student Aid Report from the federal processor.
- If your application is selected for federal verification, you will be sent an official request from the college. You will need to complete a verification form, and provide whatever other documents are requested. This may include a tax return transcript only from IRS (www.IRS.gov). It is the student’s responsibility to complete their verification within 30 days of the request being made. If a student does not complete the verification process if requested, they will not be awarded financial aid at Dakota College at Bottineau.
- In early June you will receive an award notice from the college. You must then complete, sign and return the award notice indicating whether or not you accept the award.
- If you accept a subsidized or unsubsidized loan, you will need to complete entrance loan counseling and MPN (Master Promissory Note) at https://studentloans.gov.
- All financial aid will credit your account. If, after all fees are paid, there is a credit balance on your account, the Business Office will print an excess aid check. This check can be picked up at the Business Office during the published fee payment days.
- Students who have enrolled and have accepted financial aid for the upcoming semester will be allowed to charge books and supplies, up to the amount of any applicable excess aid, at the Dakota College at Bottineau Bookstore. Click here for more information on this policy.
- If, after all financial aid has been credited to your account, there is a balance due to the college, you may stop at the Business Office on the published fee payment days to pay the balance.
- DCB reports all Pell Grant and loan disbursments to NSLDS. Post disbursment information about any of these disbursements (including the contact information for the servicer for the loans) can be found at http://www.nslds.ed.gov/nslds_SA/
- Remember to apply for financial aid every year. Also note that financial aid for each summer session requires a summer financial aid application which is available at the financial aid office.