CSCI 101 - Introduction to Computers
3 Semester Hour Credits
Course Description: General hardware and software issues such as terminology and environments are studied. Applications software include: word processing, spreadsheets, databases, presentation software and Internet usage.
Schedule: Fall, spring, and summer semesters. This course follows the traditional on-campus calendar for beginning and ending dates.
Delivery Method: Online. Students are not expected to come to the campus at any time.
Prerequisite Courses: None, but previous computer knowledge is preferred.
Instructor: Christy Jackson
Contact Information: Faculty Directory
Textbook: Book Information through the DCB Bookstore.
Other Materials: Microsoft Office suite.
Course Objectives: It is expected that students will be able to:
- Students will learn the fundamentals of Office 2010 and demonstrate abilities by completing a variety of tasks and exams.
- To expose students to practical examples of the computer as a useful tool.
- To acquaint students with the proper procedures to create documents, worksheets, databases, and presentations suitable for coursework, professional purposes, and personal uses.
- To help students discover the underlying functionality of Office 2010 so they can become more productive.
- To encourage independent study.
- Students are required to complete all class activities.
- Students are responsible for submitting their own work.
- Students who cooperate on oral or written examinations or work without authorization share the responsibility for violation of academic principles and the students are subject to disciplinary action even when one of the students is not enrolled in the course where the violation occurred. (Student handbook p.19)
Exams - Policies & Procedures:
- All exams are taken online during their open window. The exams are not proctored and mostly consist of completing a project related to items being studied. The final for Introduction to Computers is in project format consisting of building a presentation utilizing PowerPoint
Technology Required: Click here to view our technology required page.