All students wanting to apply for financial aid must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). You may apply on-line at www.fafsa.ed.gov. Our Federal School Code is 002995. Priority Deadline for campus - based fund is March 15 of each year.
Steps to Apply for Financial Aid:
- Use the Dakota College at Bottineau Application to apply for admission at the location of your choice. Dakota College at Bottineau Application for Admission
- Complete your taxes early and keep a copy.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on-line as soon as taxes are complete. Priority date for completing this process is March 15.
- Within 5-7 days you will receive a Student Aid Report from the federal processor.
- If your application is selected for federal verification, you will be sent a request from the college to submit copies of your tax returns and complete a verification form.
- In late May or early June you will receive an award notice from the college. You must then complete, sign and return the award notice indicating whether or not you accept the award.
- If you accept a subsidized or unsubsidized loan, you will need to complete entrance loan counseling and MPN (Master Promissory Note) at https://studentloans.gov.
- All financial aid will credit your account. If, after all fees are paid, there is a credit balance on your account, the Business Office will print an excess aid check. This check can be picked up at the Business Office during the published fee payment days.
- If, after all financial aid has been credited to your account, there is a balance due to the college, you may stop at the Business Office on the published fee payment days to pay the balance.
- Remember to apply for financial aid every year. Also note that financial aid for each summer session requires a separate application which is available at the financial aid office.