BADM 202 - Principles of Management
3 Semester Hour Credits
Course Description: This course is designed to study the basic functions of management which include planning, organizing, directing and controlling. This course introduces students to effective conflict management, communication, leadership, and decision making techniques. Additional management issues that are addressed include human resources management, ethics, and diversity.
Schedule: Fall semester. This course follows the traditional on-campus schedule for beginning and ending dates.
Delivery Method: Online. Students are not expected to come to the campus at any time.
Prerequisite Courses: None
Instructor: Keri Keith
Contact Information: Faculty Directory
Textbook: Book Information through the DCB Bookstore.
Other Materials: None
Course Objectives: It is expected that students will be able to:
- Describe what management is, why management is important, what managers do, and how managers utilize organizational resources efficiently and effectively to achieve organizational goals.
- Distinguish among planning, organizing, leading, and controlling (the four main management functions) and explain how managers' ability to handle each one can affect organizational performance.
- Discuss the principle challenges facing managers in today's increasingly competitive global environment.
- Describe how the need to increase organizational efficiency and effectiveness has guided the evolution of management theory.
- Explain the principle of job specialization and division of labor.
- Describe the various personality traits that affect how managers think, feel, and behave.
- Describe the nature of emotional intelligence and its rule in management.
- Define organizational culture and explain how managers both create, and are influenced by, organizational culture.
- Describe conflict management strategies that managers can use to resolve conflict effectively.
- Describe important communication skills that managers need as senders and as receivers of messages.
- Explain why effective human resources management can help an organization gain a competitive advantage.
- Describe the six steps that managers should take to make the best decisions.
- Understand the steps managers can take to effectively manage diversity.
- Understand the relationship between ethics and the law.
- Course requirements consist of class participation, assignments, quizzes, and exams.
Exams - Policies & Procedures:
- Quizzes and exams can be taken on any computer with Internet access
- Students need to select a suitable testing environment conducive for testing such as a distraction-free area at home, a computer lab at a library, etc.
- Each quiz/test will be available for a week set by the instructor. Students can take a quiz/test at any time during that week. Exams must be completed between set dates/times.
- Exams and quizzes are comprised of multiple choice matching questions.
Technology Required:Click here to view our technology required page.
Students are required to utilize Microsoft Office products. You are expected to turn in papers and assignments in MS Word, Excel or PowerPoint format, depending on the requirements of the assignment. Please contact me if you do not have access to this software so that we can discuss how to purchase this software at discounted rates.