AH 236 - ESL Dictation
2 Semester Hour Credits
Course Description: This course will introduce the medical transcription student to several ESL (English as Second Language) providers from Asia, the Middle East, and Latin America. The course will teach them speech patterns and guidelines for ESL dictation and how it pertains to AHDI rules of style and English usage.
Schedule: Fall, Spring, and Summer. This course is offered in 8-week sessions, three times during the year once per semester.
Delivery Method: Online. Students are not expected to come to the campus at any time.
Prerequisite Courses: AH 222 and AH 223.
Instructor: Melissa Coleman
Contact Information: Faculty Directory
Textbook: Book Information through the DCB Bookstore. USB Foot pedal and headset are required.
Other Materials: None
Course Objectives: It is expected that students will be able to:
- The student will learn speech patterns of ESL (English as Second Language) dicators.
- The student will learn guidelines for ESL (English as Second Language) provider dictations.
- The student will learn tips for easier understanding of ESL provider dictations.
- The student will apply proper English usage including proper grammar, punctuation, and style, and the use of correct spelling, and sentence structure to ESL dictations.
- The student will apply correct medical transcription rules of style according to the AHDI Book of Style, 3rd Edition.
- The patient will accurately transcribe a total of 120 minutes of actual ESL (physician dictation applying knowledge in English, medical knowledge, technology, healthcare documentation, and professional practice.
- The student will demonstrate the ability to proofread and correct a transcribed healthcare document.
- The student will be expected to complete all weekly assignments and quizzes.
- All chapter assignments will be completed in the order they are presented.
- Quizzes/exams are open note, open book.
- A final exam will be completed at the conclusion of the course.
- This 8-week course consists of weekly assignments and quizzes. The student will also complete 120 minutes of authentic ESL provider (Asia, the Middle East, and Latin America) utilizing the guidelines, tips, and speech patterns taught in this course.
Exams - Policies & Procedures:
- Exams are completely on a weekly basis and due by a specified date and time each week.
- Exams are open note, open book and no proctor is needed.
- Exams are given a limited time.
- Exams are presented in multiple choice, true/false, or short answer form.
Technology Required: Click here to view our technology required page.