AH 226 - Medical Transcription - Orthopedics
2 Semester Hour Credits
Course Description: The advanced medical transcription courses will offer the student continued transcription of original physician healthcare dictation using transcription, proofreading, editing, and research skills while meeting quality and productivity standards.
Schedule: Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters. This course is offered in 8-week sessions.
Delivery Method: Online. Students are not expected to come to the campus at any time.
Prerequisite Courses: AH 223
Instructor: Allison Getzlaff
Contact Information: Faculty Directory
Textbook: Book Information through the DCB Bookstore.
Other Materials:These materials are also required if not previously purchased.
- CD with the transcription assessments/assignments
- USB Foot Pedal
- Headset compatible with student's computer
- Medical Dictionary
- Pharmaceutical Word Book
- Stedman's Pathology and Lab Medicine Words including Histology
- Stedman's Abbreviations, Acronyms, & Symbols
- Stedman's Equipment Words
- AHDI BOS 3rd Edition
Course Objectives: It is expected that students will be able to:
- Develop speed and accuracy in transcribing medical reports.
- Utilize reference materials and other resources efficiently and faithfully.
- Learn and use editing and proofreading techniques.
- Recognize and use various report formats.
- Learn and apply the AHDI Rule of Style to your transcribed reports.
- Produce acccurate, error-free documents.
- The student will be expected to submit all assignments as well as the final assessment.
- All assignments will be completed in the order they are presented.
- A pass/fail grade will be awarded upon the completion of the course and upon completion of all assigned work.
- A computer, headset, and foot pedal are required for completion of assignments. It is highly recommended that the student have a medical spellcheck with their word processing system.
- It is also recommended that the student have access to a printer.
Exams - Policies & Procedures:
- Students must submit a final, comprehensive assignment at the conclusion of the course.
- The final assignment in addition to the quizzes will determine the final grade for the student.
- All assignments and quizzes must be completed and submitted before the course's end date.
Technology Required: Click here to view our technology required page.